8.04.2005

Maniratnam + A.R.Rahman again

Yesterday I saw the A.R.Rahman’s old New York concert. The double VCD pack released by Saregama has only the Hindi songs performed in the concert. The CD also contains a 10 minute documentary on Making of the show in which surprisingly I caught Maniratnam speaking about Making a music show with A.R.Rahman which is actually have come true now with “Netru Indru Nalai” which is a show conducted to help a organization called Banyan and the show is on August 15.

Here is what Maniratnam says

It is like a film since you are having music as a base and you are trying to make a big show and entertainment, may be I would look for a concept. I don’t know as I haven’t really put my mind into it, but I have to think what it needs to make a great show. Especially with A.R.Rahman, we have great advantage. His body of work is tremendous and there is enough choice for you to take out from. So we just have to see how best we can do.”

These words sounds very relevant now as finally Maniratnam, A.R.Rahman, Rajiv Menon and Sabu Cyril join hands to make a grand musical as a retrospective of Tamil Film industry. Actually I wonder what difference (conceptually) Maniratnam can make in shows like these except for technical excellence. We have to wait and watch. It would be better if they also release a VCD/DVD of the show in the market and raise even more funds.

There is an interesting
article in today's Hindu Metro Plus (Chennai Edition) about this show.

Unfortunately, I will be missing the show as I am going to my home town on Aug 15.

No comments: